8.19.2009

Monterey, Carmel and the 17-Mile Drive by Bicycle

Last weekend we decided to try something new, so we took our bicycles down to Monterey for a tour, and I took a camera with me. Monterey has some bike paths that eventually connect you up with the 17-Mile Drive. For those of you not plugged into the golf world, the 17-Mile Drive is a loop of road that goes past some of the more exclusive golf resorts in the country-- Spanish Bay, Spyglass Hill, and, of course, Pebble Beach-- as well as some very exclusive neighborhoods. It's really nice if you get out early, before the throngs of cars, and it's free if you're on a bike (cars pay a fee).

We stopped at a few of the numbered attractions along the way, and I took a few photos here and there.

(Yes, I do ride with a bike trunk even though we're training for a race... my bike's a little cursed, so I take lots of spare tubes and tools with me....)

The problem I discovered with taking the camera with me by bike is that once I got into a good rhythm, I didn't really want to stop to pull the camera out. Additionally, even at a leisurely pace, the scenery goes by much faster on a bike than if you're walking, hiking, or climbing, and I ended up missing the little details that always catch my eye when we're out on foot. All in all, I'd have to say that I much prefer photography on foot, but it was worth a try, and going out to the coast is always gorgeous, not matter what mode of transportation you have!

0 comments:

Post a Comment